A mouth-watering Hawaiian dessert
October is a month that gives us the warm fuzzy feeling! It’s the start of the festive season, and most importantly, it’s an excuse to experiment with new recipes. From apple to cinnamon to sweet potatoes, we are spoiled for choice! All these delectable flavors and ingredients have caused a discussion (some might call it a food feud) in our ohana, but we concluded one of our top is pumpkin-flavored anything.
We want you to be part of our family, so we have decided to share with you a recipe that we love – our Hawaiian Pumpkin Crunch Cake. This is an ono meaʻai ʻai (yummy dessert) that will instantly transport you to Hawaii. It consists of a layer of cake, topped with a layer of whipped cream, and then finished off with a layer of macadamia nuts.
That extra oomph in this cake comes from our Red Hawaiian Alaea Salt, and we guarantee that you will be the popular guest at every dinner party with this scrumptious cake. The only downside? You’re going to have to make more to satisfy everyone’s requests!
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups Coconut Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon Red Hawaiian Alaea Salt
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup coconut shreds
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees°. Lightly grease one 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, coconut shreds, and salt.
- Mix well and then spread into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture, and pat down. Do not mix!
- Sprinkle chopped macadamia nuts evenly over the cake mix, then drizzle with melted margarine.
- Bake the Pumpkin crunch cake for 60 to 80 minutes, or until done.
- When finished top with whipped topping when ready to serve.
Share the cake with your family and friends, or enjoy it all to yourself as you bundle up in a blanket with a slice of cake and a glass of apple cider. But whatever you do, don’t be shy. Let us know how your cake turned out!
Tag us at @SaltyWahine when you share a photo on Facebook or Instagram so that we can see your beautiful creations!